If you’ve ever had to get somewhere in a hurry but didn’t have transportation or wanted a one-way ride to a place too far to walk, you’ve likely called a rideshare company. Booking a rideshare vehicle via an app offers you the convenience you need to commute in a hassle-free manner.
However, the increased popularity of these ridesharing programs has also increased the number of cars on the roads. With every additional car comes the potential of another car accident. If you or someone you love was in an Uber or Lyft wreck, our Boca Raton ridesharing accident attorneys can help.
Auto Accidents Involving Ridesharing Apps Like Uber or Lyft
Ridesharing programs provide an excellent service. Companies like Uber and Lyft have streamlined the process of providing transportation to individuals who cannot, or should not, be driving themselves. They’ve also empowered people without a vehicle to get around more quickly at an affordable price.
Yet, in most cases, you are not aware of who is driving you, their background, or what kind of safety record they have. You must trust ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft to have performed necessary background checks and have the proper insurance coverage to ensure your safety.
Car crashes caused by negligent rideshare drivers can happen at any time, on any ride. Moreover, because ridesharing accidents are different, it can be challenging to discern liability.
Why Are Ridesharing Accidents Different?
Ridesharing accidents are different because the laws governing such services are different. That’s why you need to hire an experienced Uber or Lyft accident attorney before filing a case against a negligent or reckless driver.
In many cases, the company is responsible for awarding compensation, and they will try to get out of the responsibility. Here’s a look at some scenarios when it comes to ridesharing auto accidents:
- Offline driver: If the driver was offline and not connected with Uber or Lyft when the accident happened, the companies can’t be held liable and aren’t involved in the suit.
- Online and waiting for requests: If the driver is online and connected to Uber or Lyft when the accident happens, you may be able to gain compensation from their liability insurance.
- With passengers: If the driver is ferrying a customer around and is connected to the ridesharing company during the accident, the victims involved will get compensation from Uber or Lyft’s public liability insurance.
That’s why you need to hire a ridesharing accident attorney in Boca Raton instead of a regular personal injury attorney for such cases. Traditional attorneys may not know the different circumstances that can influence them.
Determining Liability After a Ridesharing Accident
Usually, a car accident only concerns the parties present at the accident. However, when a ridesharing vehicle and driver are involved, it can become more complex as to who may be at fault. As a result, figuring out who to file a personal injury lawsuit against can be difficult.
Therefore, it is essential to understand liability before working on an auto accident claim in Boca Raton. Our expert lawyers will listen to your account, look at all evidence, speak with third-party experts, contact witnesses, and carry out in-depth research into your case before determining liability.
Sometimes, liability is clear, and we know the driver is at fault. But not all cases are so clear-cut.
If the accident occurs because another driver was speeding or driving under the influence, you won’t be able to hold ridesharing companies liable for the incident.
Causes of Ridesharing Accidents
Ridesharing accidents can happen due to several reasons. In most cases, it comes down to human error or negligence. If the driver is distracted, driving under the influence, or engaging in reckless behavior, you are more likely to get into an accident.
Sometimes, ridesharing accidents happen because drivers are exhausted and overworked. While these professionals have the freedom to take on jobs at their convenience, most work long hours to make ends meet. Unfortunately, that can cause serious health problems, fatigue, and poor focus, which often lead to accidents.
For a free legal consultation with a ridesharing accidents lawyer serving Boca Raton, call 561-338-0420
Florida Rideshare Insurance Requirements
Until 2017 Florida’s rideshare industry was largely unregulated. Insurance laws varied between municipalities; therefore, geographical discrepancies made it challenging for rideshare passengers to know their rights.
Florida CS/HB 221, the “Uber/ Lyft Bill,” established statewide uniform regulations that included minimum insurance coverage requirements for rideshare companies. These include:
- $50,000 per person for death and bodily injury
- $100,000 per accident for death and bodily injury
- $25,000 to cover property damage
This insurance coverage can be provided through the rideshare company’s insurance, the driver’s personal plan, or both.
Additionally, when a rideshare operator is transporting a passenger, they need to be covered by a $1,000,000 property damage, wrongful death, and bodily injury policy. Finally, if an accident occurs, the Lyft or Uber driver must present insurance documents to the police at the accident scene.
Boca Raton Ridesharing Accident Lawyer Near Me 561-338-0420
Rideshare Insurance Companies Are Not on Your Side
While both rideshare and taxi companies are required to carry adequate insurance coverage, they, and their insurance companies, are not on your side. Make sure your taxi and rideshare attorney has negotiating or trial experience to get you or a loved one the accident compensation you’re entitled to.
Our team of personal injury lawyers has researched and handled car accident cases involving ride-sharing programs like Uber and Lyft since its inception. We have been at the forefront of emerging technology and are prepared to serve our clients using the most advanced techniques possible.
Click to contact our Boca Raton Lawyers today
What to Do If You Were Involved in an Accident With a Ridesharing App Driver?
If you were a passenger involved in an accident with a ridesharing car service like Uber or Lyft, here are steps you should follow if you haven’t already done so:
- Even if it’s been several days since your accident, assess your injuries and seek medical attention if you discover new injuries or pain that hasn’t subsided.
- Make sure you seek medical treatment within 14 days of your accident to retain your PIP benefits.
- Follow-up with police to document or check on your incident report.
- Make sure your name is on the police report as a passenger and that you get a copy of the case number provided by the police.
- If it’s not too late, take photos of the scene and surrounding environment. If possible, locate the rideshare vehicle and photograph damages.
- Make sure you have your driver’s information, including their name, photo, and license number. Save this information, plus a screenshot of their profile from your phone’s ride-sharing app for your attorney.
- Avoid speaking to the other parties involved about the accident details. Most ridesharing companies ask that you also report any auto accidents to them; however, we suggest that you talk only to your legal representation and, when required, the police.
- Contact a ridesharing accident attorney in Boca Raton to discuss your options and protect your rights.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What to Expect When Hiring a Ridesharing Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton
You can expect the following when you hire our Boca Raton ridesharing accident lawyers to represent you after your Uber or Lyft rideshare accident:
- Our case reviews are FREE: As we review your case, have your questions answered, and our experienced lawyers will discuss your rights and anticipated outcomes.
- We’ll handle everything: Our investigators will talk with eyewitnesses, insurance providers, police, attorneys, healthcare workers, healthcare institutions, and any other party we feel will help settle your claim. Our thorough investigation will help build the framework for a solid case, which will help us get as much compensation for you as possible.
- You focus on your recovery: A rideshare accident can cause anxiety and stress on top of your injuries. We are committed to your case so that you can focus on healing your body.
- Our fees are based on contingency: Our injury attorneys will work on your case with no money upfront. Our firm doesn’t receive a dime until we negotiate or win a jury award for you.
If you were involved in a wreck involving a ridesharing driver, get an experienced auto accident lawyer on your side.
If You Were in a Ridesharing Accident, Call a Boca Raton Lawyer Today
Accidents can happen even if you’re not behind the wheel and are trusting a professional driver to get you to your destination. Millions of people use Uber, Lyft, and other such ridesharing services all over the world. They trust these drivers to follow the rules and observe proper driving behavior, but these individuals are just as fallible as other drivers on the road.
At our Boca Raton law offices, we have worked with many clients involved in ridesharing accidents and are familiar with the process. And our ridesharing accident lawyers in Boca Raton are here to help.
To learn more about our car accident personal injury firm or need to book a consultation with an accident lawyer, get in touch with us at Eltringham Law Group today! Clients can call (561) 338-0420 or contact us by completing our online form.
Common Legal Questions About Ride Sharing Auto Accidents
What Do I Do If My Uber or Lyft Car Was Involved in an Accident?
If you are a passenger involved in an accident in a ridesharing car service, such as Uber or Lyft, follow these crucial steps.
- Assess your injuries; for example, are you seriously injured or bleeding? After that, make sure that the driver or other passengers are okay.
- Call the police to document the incident.
- Take photos of the scene, including damages to both vehicles, license plate numbers, and the surrounding environment.
- Take down information from your driver, including their name, photo, and driver’s license number. Then, screenshot their ridesharing app driver profile using your phone.
- Ensure your name is on the police report as a passenger and that you get a copy of the case number.
- Avoid speaking to other parties involved about the details of the accident. Instead, speak only to the police or your attorney.
- To retain your PIP benefits, seek medical treatment within 14 days of your accident.
Most rideshare companies ask that you also report this accident to them. Still, we suggest that you follow all the steps above, including contacting our personal injury attorneys, before providing details to the company and insurance providers.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim After an Auto Accident Involving a Ridesharing Company Like Uber or Lyft?
Florida law requires that you seek medical attention within 14 days from the date of the accident – this includes weekends and holidays.
If you fail to comply with Florida Law, you will lose 100% of your medical payment coverage under the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) portion of your automobile insurance policy.
All auto insurance policies in the state of Florida include PIP, which covers a portion of your medical bills. However, this coverage is void if you do not seek medical attention within 14 days of your automobile accident.
Many injuries or ailments resulting from a car accident may not be noticeable immediately. Therefore, we recommend that you seek medical attention immediately and afterward continue communicating with your doctor if other issues arise.
Even minor accidents can lead to medical issues days or weeks after your auto accident.
What Is Personal Injury Protection (PIP)?
Personal injury protection (PIP), also called no-fault insurance, helps you pay for costs including lost wages, mortgage payments, medical bills, or funeral expenses, regardless of who was at fault in the accident.
Like other states that mandate PIP, however, Florida has its own set of particular laws and regulations. Therefore, you must seek medical care within 14 days of your accident so that you can retain your PIP benefits.
How Do I Pay for Medical Bills if They Exceed $10,000 of PIP Insurance?
After a severe auto accident, almost every injured person will require treatment that exceeds the $10,000 limit that PIP provides. Florida allows drivers to sue the at-fault party’s insurance company if the medical costs exceed $10,000.
Therefore, you need to call a personal injury attorney who will explain your rights and help you recover your expenses. You may also file against their insurance company for any emotional pain and suffering you think the injuries have caused you.
Who Do I Sue After an Auto Accident Involving a Ridesharing Company Like Uber or Lyft?
When you are involved in an auto accident, and a lawsuit is required to recover additional expenses, you must hire an Uber or Lyft accident attorney.
Our attorneys will ensure that the ridesharing company followed proper procedure when hiring the driver responsible for driving you. If not, we will file a claim against their insurance company if possible.
Florida law mandates that every driver carry auto insurance. Consequently, when you file a lawsuit due to a rideshare accident, you are not suing the other driver personally. Instead, the case to recover damages and expenses is against the insurance company of the person at fault.
How Do I Pay for My Attorney Fees After an Auto Accident Involving a Ridesharing Company Like Uber or Lyft?
All personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means your Uber or Lyft accident attorney only collects payment if you receive money in a judgment or settlement from your case.
You owe nothing to the attorney unless you get paid. If you receive a settlement or judgment, the attorney is paid an agreed-upon percentage. If your attorney is unable to collect additional compensation for you, you owe them nothing.