Have you or your loved one suffered injuries in a sideswipe accident in Boca Raton? A Boca Raton car accident lawyer can advise you on your legal rights and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
At the Eltringham Law Group, we are a team of highly experienced attorneys passionate about helping victims seek justice and recover damages after suffering personal injuries from sideswipe accidents. We understand the state’s personal injury laws and have successfully recovered millions of dollars for our clients. Contact our firm today for a no-obligation consultation.
How Sideswipe Accidents Happen
Sideswipe accident scenarios are like no other, as they often occur when two objects moving in opposite directions collide. These accidents can happen between two cars on the road, a car and a pedestrian, or a car and a stationary object like a telephone pole or tree.
When it comes to sideswipe accidents between vehicles, they are typically caused by one of the drivers failing to properly stop or turn their vehicle when necessary. This can include failure to yield, making an illegal turn, or failing to pay attention while driving.
Risks of Unsafe Lane Changes
When changing lanes, it is essential to always use the appropriate signals and check blind spots and impediments like bridge rails, cable barriers, and guardrails. Failure to do so can result in a serious, and sometimes even fatal, sideswipe accident. Particularly when vehicles are moving at high speed on a highway.
According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) 2021 traffic crash facts, there were 366 fatal and 988 incapacitating accidents in Florida due to failure to keep in the proper lane. Common reasons and circumstances for such accidents include:
- Unsafely merging into a lane: When changing lanes, drivers must ensure the lane is free of other vehicles. Failing to do so can result in a sideswipe accident if two cars try to occupy the same space.
- Sudden braking: If a driver suddenly brakes without warning and another vehicle is close behind them, they may be unable to react in time and sideswipe the car behind them.
- Unsafely exiting a lane: When exiting a lane, drivers must check their mirrors and blind spots to ensure no other vehicles are nearby. Failing to do so can result in a sideswipe accident if the driver cuts off another car.
Who’s At-Fault for a Sideswipe Accident?
Determining the at-fault party for your sideswipe collision is critical. Generally, if a driver does not follow the appropriate road rules (failing to yield, making an illegal turn, etc.), they are likely to be held responsible for the accident.
However, other factors may come into play when determining fault. For example:
- If one of the drivers was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they may be responsible for damages.
- If a defective car part causes an accident, the car manufacturer may be to blame.
- If the at-fault driver’s employer did not follow generally accepted hiring or safety protocols, they might be liable for damages.
Determining liability for a sideswipe accident may not be straightforward, as various factors must be considered. That is why it helps to hire a qualified sideswipe accident lawyer as soon as possible.
What Damages Can You Recover?
When a sideswipe accident occurs, victims may be able to recover various types of damages, such as:
- Medical bills: You may receive compensation for any past and future medical care you needed because of the accident, including hospital stays, surgeries, physical therapy, and more.
- Lost wages: If you had to miss work due to your injuries, you could seek compensation for lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: You may also qualify for compensation for your physical pain, emotional distress, and any other mental trauma caused by the incident.
- Property damage: If your vehicle was damaged due to the accident, you can seek compensation for repair costs or a replacement if necessary.
- Permanent disability: In severe cases, you may be left with permanent disabilities that limit your ability to work and live a normal life. You may be able to receive compensation for these damages as well.
- Loss of enjoyment and loss of consortium: After a devastating accident, you can never live normally again. You may be able to receive compensation for the loss of enjoyment and companionship that you would have otherwise enjoyed without the accident.
How We Can Help
Here is a quick breakdown of what to expect from Eltringham Law Group when you hire us to pursue your sideswipe accident claim:
- We will review your case and determine all liable parties.
- We will investigate the incident to gather evidence that proves fault and negligence.
- We will provide legal advice and guidance throughout the process so you know what to expect each step of the way.
- We can hire expert witnesses such as medical professionals or auto mechanics to reconstruct the incident and testify on your behalf if necessary.
- We will negotiate with the insurance company to try and secure a fair settlement for you.
- If necessary, we can take your case to trial if a satisfactory agreement cannot be reached.
Hiring an experienced sideswipe accident lawyer in Boca Raton is critical in ensuring you recover maximum compensation for your losses. At Eltringham Law Group, we have a proven track record of success in recovering damages for our clients. Contact us today to get started with your case.
Car Accident Case FAQs
Do I have to pay attorney fees upfront?
No. At Eltringham Law Group, we operate on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning you only pay us if we recover damages for you. This allows us to make legal services more accessible and affordable for our clients.
How long do I have to file a lawsuit for a sideswipe accident?
In Florida, you have four years to file a personal injury lawsuit after the crash date. You must take action before the deadline expires to avoid getting barred from filing a claim and recovering damages.