Injuries in the workplace are surprisingly common, even with policies and regulations enacted by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). In many cases, you may be aided by workers’ compensation. However, some situations could call for additional compensation from negligent third parties, like product manufacturers.
Injuries can occur at work due to a one-time event or as a result of repetitive actions or exposure. Regardless of the scenario, a lawyer can help you receive the compensation you deserve when you have been injured on the job.
At Eltringham Law, our Boca Raton workplace accident attorneys have experience handling these types of cases. We will work with you to get you the justice and compensation you deserve.
Work Accidents and Injury Lawsuit Cases
Accidents or injuries can occur in almost any type of work environment, including:
- Educational facilities
- Theme parks
- Machinery-based operations
- Trucking companies
The spectrum of injury or illness that can be sustained in the workplace is extensive and can range from repetitive stress injuries to injuries sustained from slips and falls, faulty equipment, toxic substances, improper safety procedures, and more. Even in seemingly harmless work environments, accidents and injuries can occur. When this happens, you need an attorney on your side that can get you the compensation you deserve.
What to Expect From Our Boca Raton Job Site Injury Attorneys
Workplace injury claims require a lot of evidence, especially if you are going up against a third party for negligence. As experienced personal injury experts, the Boca Raton workplace accident lawyers at Eltringham Law Group provide you with a variety of services. There are numerous things we can do for your case, including:
To help bolster your claim, you might need evidence like:
- Video of the accident
- Testimony from coworkers
- Accident reconstruction expert testimony
- Your medical records showing the extent of your injuries
- Employer records showing your loss of income
Our lawyers can collect and preserve this evidence for you.
Negotiating a Settlement
In some cases, your injury could have been caused by a defective product. In others, you could be harmed by the actions or negligence of another company’s employees (such as on a construction site). These situations could call for a lawsuit against the at-fault party to recover the compensation you deserve.
However, large corporations and insurance companies often have vast resources at their disposal. During settlement negotiations, our Boca Raton workplace accident attorneys can make sure your rights and interests are represented.
Going to Court
If your injury resulted from the actions or negligence of a third party (not your employer), a lawsuit might be the way to go. Our attorneys can help you file your claim and will fight for you in court if necessary.
Compensation Available in Workplace Injury Claims
Workers’ compensation will cover a variety of damages that result from your injury. These include items like:
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Medical expenses
On the other hand, a lawsuit against responsible third parties can increase the number of damages for which you can receive compensation. For example, you might be able to secure compensation for your non-economic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment in life
- Loss of consortium with a spouse
- Mental anguish
Our workplace injury lawyers in Boca Raton can help you catalog all your damages and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Filing Your Workplace Accident Claim in Florida
After an accident at the job site, you’re likely focused on medical issues and physical recovery. Unfortunately, you may not have a lot of time before you legally must file notice of a claim.
For example, you must notify your employer of your injury and intent to file a workers’ compensation claim within 30 days of the incident. You then have up to two years to file that claim.
If you are filing a lawsuit against a negligent third party, you have a longer period of time before the statute of limitations expires. Florida Statute 95.11 sets the time limit for negligence-based injury claims at four years from the date of the accident.
Filing on time is important, or you risk losing the right to pursue compensation in court.
Common Legal Questions Regarding Workplace Injuries
- What should I do if I have been injured in an accident at my workplace? If you have been injured in an accident at your workplace, it’s important to report your injuries to your direct supervisor. Your incident should be thoroughly documented with the appropriate staff members such as human resources and/or an on-site manager. You should also gather the names and contact information for any witnesses. Take photographs of the location of the incident, as well as any equipment involved and other physical evidence of the injury. Immediately seek medical care as necessary and call our attorneys to help you in this difficult situation.
- What if my injury or illness is more extensive than what is covered by workers’ compensation? In some situations, you may be entitled to pursue additional compensation from at-fault parties other than your employer. This can be used to supplement your workers’ compensation and pay for additional bills.
- Can I go after employers or third parties if there is negligence or fault involved? Typically, your Boca Raton workplace accident attorney can pursue compensation from at-fault third parties. Without knowing the specifics of your case, though, it is impossible to say.
- How do I know what I am entitled to receive if I have been injured on the job?A full list of benefits can be found in the Florida Division of Workers’ Compensation brochure. Our workplace accident lawyers in Boca Raton can also help you understand your benefits and the compensation you are owed.
- Can a work accident lawyer provide me with the guidance I need to move forward following my injury? Yes! Through Eltringham Law Group’s innovative Lighthouse system, we will keep you informed and up to date every step of the way. Our workplace accident lawyers provide one-on-one, personalized services.
- Are all workplace accidents in Florida covered by workers’ compensation? Many employees/workers assume that workers’ compensation coverage is always available, but that is not always the case. Most injuries that occur in the workplace qualify to receive workers’ compensation, but there are a few exceptions that may not be covered. Regardless, you should always file a claim with your employer for workers’ compensation within seven days of the incident. You can speak to one of our attorneys at no cost to see if your injuries would qualify for coverage.
- How long do I have to file a workers’ compensation claim? You must report your workplace accident to your employer within seven days of the incident in order to qualify for workers’ compensation in Florida. Even if you are not sure if your injuries would qualify for compensation, you should still file a claim. You can speak to one of our attorneys at no cost for a better understanding of the process.
- Can I sue my employer in addition to the workers’ compensation? If you are involved in a construction accident while on the job, workers’ compensation may be your only choice for recovering any sort of compensation. There are federal and state laws that can prevent an injured victim from filing a civil lawsuit for any damages/injuries related to the construction accident. However, there can be benefits to filing a workers’ compensation claim instead of a lawsuit. You can discuss your incident with one of our experienced attorneys at no cost.
Fortunately, our workplace accident attorneys will gladly answer any questions you may have, easing your fears and concerns. We offer free consultations during which you can receive the information and advice you need so that you can get the compensation you deserve and move forward with your life.
Get a Free Consultation With Boca Raton Workplace Injury Lawyers
There are a lot of factors to consider when hiring a lawyer. It might seem hard to narrow down the list of prospective Boca Raton lawyers. For South Florida employees who have sustained injuries in the workplace, it is important to bring a list of relevant questions with you when you go for your initial consultation with a Florida workplace injury lawyer.
If you’ve been injured in a workplace accident, get in touch with Eltringham Law Group today. Our innovative Lighthouse system helps us get a unique perspective on your case and learn exactly how to help your situation. Call us today or fill in your information on our contact page to schedule a free consultation with our skilled Boca Raton workplace accident attorneys.