Many Floridians use motorcycles as an economical means of transportation, while others enjoy taking to the road for a weekend outing with friends. But Florida roads can be unkind to motorcyclists.
In recent years, there has been an average of well above 500 motorcycle deaths per year. And there are far more seriously injured, enduring the pain and suffering that comes with recovery. If you have suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident anywhere along Florida’s southern coast, contact the Boynton Beach motorcycle attorneys at Eltringham Law Group.
What a Boynton Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorney Will Do
Although some motorcycle accidents only involve one bike and its driver, the majority involve other vehicles including cars and trucks. If you had an accident that was not your fault, do not try to fight for compensation on your own. And, do not accept an offer by the other party’s insurance company without discussing it with your legal representation.
An insurance claim officer’s duty is to his or her company, not to you, the victim of an accident. They will try to get you to accept the lowest possible amount offered. Do not speak with a representative of the other party’s insurance company.
The only insurance-related conversation you should have after your accident is to notify your own insurance company of the event. Your personal injury lawyer will deal with the rest. David Eltringham and his team at the Eltringham Law Group has the knowledge and experience to get you the best settlement possible.
Steps in Building Your Legal Claim
When you hire David, he and his staff will:
- Access your claim by gathering information important to your case including a copy of the police report, photos, and witness statements
- Evaluate the other party’s driving record and, if pertinent, criminal record
- Compare your case to earlier ones to analyze potential compensation for non-economic damages and future medical expenses
- Consult with potential expert witnesses about the accident and your medical needs
- Negotiate with the defendant’s attorney and insurance company to get you a fair settlement
David Eltringham is no stranger to the courtroom. Should you and he agree that taking your case to court could provide you with the best possible outcome, you can rest assured he will be ready. Remember, the final decision whether to accept a settlement offer or go to court is always yours.
Determining Fault in a Motorcycle Accident
When any driver moves onto a public roadway, he or she takes on what is called a duty of care. That duty of care means the driver should share the road, be aware of others, and drive responsibly. Failure to do so is negligence and is the reason behind most traffic accidents.
Some forms of negligence include:
- Not yielding when appropriate
- Speeding or driving faster than current traffic allows
- Distracted driving by texting or talking on a mobile phone
- Looking in the mirror rather than the roadway
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
However, not all accidents are due to driver neglect. Poor weather conditions and construction zones are sometimes at fault. If either could have been involved in your accident, be sure to tell your attorney.
Florida Motorcycle Laws
Even if you are not responsible for a collision, if you were not compliant with Florida’s motorcycle laws, it could weaken your case. All motorcycle drivers must have a motorcycle driver’s license.
Anyone under the age of 21 is required to wear a helmet when operating or riding on a motorcycle. Those 21 and older may choose not to wear a helmet if covered by an insurance policy providing a minimum of $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries resulting from a crash. Additionally, Florida law requires motorcyclists wear protective eyewear while driving a bike.
What Compensation Could You Receive Following a Motorcycle Accident?
Types of compensation and amounts vary from case to case. Economic damages such as medical expenses are dependent on the medical care you have received and may need into the future. To figure out the amount of non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, your Boynton Beach motorcycle accident attorney will seek comparative values from similar accidents to aid in coming up with a figurative value.
Examples of what you could seek compensation for include:
- Medical expenses, including emergency treatment, x-rays, and other tests, surgery, hospitalization, physical therapy, doctor visits, and prescription medicine
- Loss of income or earning ability
- Reimbursement for property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Again, these are examples that may not fit every situation, and other possible damages may be considered in your case. Discuss every aspect of your life that has changed following your accident with your lawyer.
Get a Free Legal Consultation with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Boynton Beach
When you contact the Eltringham Law Group, you will be asked if you would like to set up your free consultation. This meeting will allow our attorney to hear the facts of your case. It also gives you the chance to interview our Boynton Beach motorcycle accident lawyer who will be tasked with getting you the highest compensation possible in your case.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Examples could include:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- Where did you graduate from law school?
- Why did you choose to go into personal injury law?
- Have you dealt with many motorcycle accident cases in the past?
- What types of awards have you negotiated for your clients?
- How often will you keep me updated on my case?
Now is the time to address any concerns you may have before hiring your motorcycle accident attorney. If you are comfortable, we can agree to move forward with your case.
Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Boynton Beach at Eltringham Law Group
In Florida, you have up to four years to file a motorcycle accident legal claim. That may sound like a long time, but in legal terms, it really isn’t. There is much to do to investigate your accident and develop your legal case.
Once you are feeling well enough, give Eltringham Law Group a call. If you cannot make it to our office, we will meet you in your home or the hospital depending on where you are healing from your injuries. Set up your free consultation today.