A slip and fall can happen at any time. If it occurs on someone else’s property due to the owner’s or manager’s negligence, you may be able to sue for damages. If this is the case, you’ll need a reliable Florida slip and fall lawyer by your side.
The Eltringham Law Group has considerable experience with Florida’s personal injury laws and slip and fall cases. Let our expertise be the difference in your claim against a business or property owner. Contact us today to begin your case.
Where Do Slip & Fall Accidents Occur?
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere, but there are certain locations in Florida where they are more likely to happen. These include:
- Apartment buildings
- Government buildings
- Parking lots/garages
- Nursing homes
- Retail stores
- Public parks
- Bars and restaurants
- Amusement parks
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Some common reasons why a slip and fall may occur include:
- Wet floors
- Insufficient lighting
- Loose guardrails
- Broken steps
- Loose floorboards
- Loose cables and wires
- Ice or snow on the stairs or pavement
- Broken escalators
- Debris in the pathway
- Failure to warn visitors about a dangerous condition
Can I Sue a Business for A Slip and Fall?
Yes, you can sue a business for a slip and fall, but to be compensated, you will have to establish negligence. Negligence can be established on the four following elements:
- A duty of care existed: First, you will have to establish that the owner had a duty of care to the victim. For example, a property owner or management company has a duty of care to keep walkways free of debris so visitors don’t fall.
- The duty of care was breached: For instance, if there was debris on the floor for hours before a person slipped on it, management should have been aware of it, and they should have cleaned it up. Not doing so would be considered a breach.
- The breach directly caused your injury: You will need to establish that the failure to act was directly related to your injury. It’s wise to get medical care after a slip and fall occurs to be safe. The medical record will serve as evidence that the accident was tied to the injury.
- The injury led to damages: The final step of proving negligence for a slip and fall will be showing your injury led to lost wages, medical expenses, emotional pain, suffering, or another loss.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Occurs
Several steps you can take after a slip and fall occurs will help you build a stronger case for your claim. These include:
- Take pictures: If you feel well enough, take pictures of the area where the incident occurred and your injuries.
- Get witness information: If anyone saw the incident occur, take down their contact information. They may be able to testify on your behalf.
- Notify the property owner or manager: Let responsible parties know about the incident.
- Get medical attention: Seeing a doctor right away will help prove that the incident caused your injuries. If you don’t see a doctor, at-fault parties may try to say your injuries were not tied to the accident.
Compensation Available for a Slip and Fall
The compensation a Florida slip and fall lawyer can help you pursue varies. A settlement may include:
- Lost wages: This will cover any wages lost due to taking time off work to recover from your injuries.
- Loss of earning potential: if you are badly injured, you may no longer be able to perform your current job duties, or you may be unable to go back to work. At-fault parties may be responsible for any discrepancy in income.
- Medical expenses: This covers medical care needed directly after the accident and ongoing care to cover things like prescriptions, rehabs, disability equipment, etc.
- Emotional pain and suffering: It can be difficult to put a monetary value on emotional damages but your Florida slip and fall attorney will come up with a fair number.
Call a Florida Slip and Fall Attorney at Eltringham Law Group
If you are suing a business for your slip and fall, you are likely going up against a powerful legal team. You need a reputable Florida slip and fall lawyer on your side.
The Eltringham Law Group has years of experience dealing with personal injury claims. We know Florida’s laws and the tactics defendants will use to discredit your case. We are not intimidated by big business lawyers — you’re our focus.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, contact Eltringham Law Group. We can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Call us today for us to handle your legal needs.
Slip and Fall Case FAQs
How much does it cost to hire a Florida slip and fall lawyer?
Most slip and fall lawyers will work on a contingency basis. We won’t ask for anything upfront and are paid only if we win your claim.
What is the statute of limitations on a slip and fall claim in Florida?
You will have four years in Florida to file for damages after a slip and fall occurs. The clock starts ticking on the day the incident happens.
How long does it take to settle a slip and fall claim?
It’s impossible to say how long it will take to settle a slip and fall claim. Several unknown factors may prolong the process, including how much negotiating is needed, how long it takes to gather evidence, and whether the case ends up going to court.