Car accidents are common in Tampa and the surrounding areas, and examples of causes are driving through a red light and driving while distracted. Notwithstanding the cause of the accident, if you sustain injuries from someone else’s negligence, you may qualify for compensation. Therefore, hiring a Tampa car accident attorney should be your first step.
When to Hire a Car Accident Attorney in Tampa
It is extremely advantageous to seek legal assistance from a Tampa car accident attorney as soon as possible after the accident. You should still get medical help and report the accident to the authorities first.
At times, it may be challenging to know what to say and what not to say and do after a car crash. Therefore, it is important to work with an attorney in the initial stages of the process to maximize your compensation.
How a Tampa Car Accident Attorney May Assist You
Your Tampa car accident attorney may help you in the following ways:
- Carrying out an independent investigation into your case
- Working with other accident experts to build your case and determine how much your claim is worth
- Gathering new evidence and analyzing the available evidence to establish fault
- Carrying out fierce negotiations on your behalf
- Communicating with the other party and their insurer
- Representing you in court
Accidents are traumatic experiences. You could focus on healing and let a car accident attorney work hard to help you get justice.
How to Choose the Right Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa
To select the right attorney and law firm to handle your case, the following are several factors to consider:
- Experience: Hire a lawyer with considerable experience with car accident injury cases.
- Trust: Work with a reputable attorney you can trust.
- Connection: Working with a lawyer who is familiar with your area could significantly boost your case.
- Accountability: Hire an attorney you can reach at any time to talk about your case and keep you regularly updated.
Investigating all these factors may help you select the right attorney for your case.
Types of Compensation after a Tampa Car Accident
Florida law outlines two categories of damages in personal injury cases: Economic and non-economic. Economic damages involve financial compensation for your injuries, such as compensation for:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Damage to property
- Lost income
- Lost wages
- Funeral expenses
Your lawyer must prove you lost money to receive these types of compensation. Nonmonetary damages, on the contrary, are awarded for damages that cannot be financially estimated, such as:
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
- Chronic pain
You May Get Compensation if You Played a Part in the Accident
The state of Florida has pure comparative negligence laws, meaning you may still get compensation for your injuries, even if you partly contributed to the accident. Your role in the accident will determine how much reward you may get.
Statute of Limitations
The maximum number of years you can wait before filing a personal injury claim in Florida is four years. Therefore, to maintain your right to receive compensation, you must file a complaint no later than four years after your accident. You may not get any compensation if you fail to meet this deadline.
Nonetheless, there are exceptions to the statute of limitations. For example, the law may be tolled if the accident victim is underage, if the injuries were not noticed immediately, or if it was a hit-and-run case.
What to Do After a Car Accident
The steps and decisions you make right after the accident are crucial. The following lists the steps to take to increase your safety and your chances of getting compensated after a car accident:
- Do not depart from the scene.
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Take as many notes as you can about the accident scene and your injuries. Take photos and videos if possible.
- Seek medical help as soon as possible, even if you feel okay. You may also check to see whether anyone requires immediate medical attention, but never apologize or admit to blame.
- Do not agree to a recorded interview by an insurance adjuster. Only answer basic questions.
- Call your lawyer to know your legal rights and have them handle all communication with insurers and other parties.
Costs of a Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
The legal fees for hiring a Tampa car accident attorney may vary depending on the nature of your injuries and other facts around your case. However, at Eltringham Law Group, we operate on a contingency basis. This means you will not have to make any payments unless we win your case and you receive compensation.
Book a Free Consultation with a Tampa Car Accident Attorney
Eltringham Law Group has a team of highly experienced and qualified Tampa car accident attorneys and personal injury lawyers. We are 100% dedicated to helping victims of auto accidents get justice for their injuries sustained due to someone else’s negligence. We do not work for insurance companies, so you will never have to stress about which side we are on.
Contact us today to book a free consultation and for additional information about how we can help you.