When the unexpected happens, and you find yourself dealing with the aftermath of a bicycle accident, the journey to recovery can be daunting — especially if you have to deal with insurance companies.
A Florida bicycle accident lawyer at our firm can help you navigate the legal process while fighting for full and fair settlement.
At Eltringham Law Group, we understand the challenges you’re facing. Our experienced Florida injury attorneys are here to provide the legal guidance and support you need during this difficult time.
Why Hire a Florida Bicycle Accident Attorney?
Having an experienced legal professional by your side can make a world of difference following a bicycle accident. A bicycle accident lawyer has:
- Specialized knowledge: Bicycle accident lawyers are experts in Florida bicycle accident laws, enabling us to navigate insurance claims with informed professionalism.
- Maximized compensation: An attorney works tirelessly to secure the highest possible compensation for your damages, ensuring you’re not undercompensated.
- Experience navigating legal complexities: These legal experts understand the intricate complexities of such cases, ensuring nothing is overlooked.
- Prowess dealing with insurers: Personal injury attorneys are adept at dealing with insurance companies effectively, preventing rushed or inadequate settlements.
- Thorough evidence collection: Lawyers meticulously gather evidence to establish liability and construct a robust case, boosting the chances of a successful outcome.
- Effective negotiation: Their strong negotiation skills prove invaluable when advocating for your rights.
- Litigation support: If negotiations fall short, your Florida bicycle accident attorney will provide litigation support, representing you in court.
- Affordability: Our personal injury lawyers operate on a contingency basis, meaning you only pay when you secure a settlement.
- Peace of mind: By entrusting legal matters to these professionals, you can focus entirely on your recovery, knowing your case is in capable hands.
With these advantages, hiring a bicycle accident lawyer ensures not only the best possible outcome for your case but also the reassurance that every aspect of your legal journey is expertly managed.
Florida Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents
The statute of limitations stipulates how long you have to file a personal injury claim seeking compensation. In Florida, it stands at 2 years from the day of the accident. Missing this deadline could mean losing your chance to recover damages for your injuries.
Exceptions to Florida Statute of Limitations
There are situations where the statute of limitations can be paused or extended, such as:
- If the responsible party is a government entity, the statute of limitations reduces to two years.
- Suppose it’s your child who’s the one hurt in the accident, then you have until their 18th birthday plus 2 years to file a lawsuit.
- If you or your loved one are incapacitated after the accident, such as falling into a coma.
It’s best to consult an experienced Florida bicycle accident lawyer if you are unsure whether your statute of limitations has expired.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Florida
Bicycle accidents in Florida are, unfortunately, all too common. According to 2022 reports by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), there were 7,237 bike crashes, with 6,755 cases sustaining injuries and 213 resulting in fatalities. Here are the primary causes of bicycle accidents in Florida:
- Distracted driving: Motorists using phones, eating, or engaging in other distractions may fail to notice cyclists sharing the road.
- Failure to give way: Drivers not yielding the right of way to cyclists at intersections or crosswalks can lead to collisions.
- Reckless driving: Speeding, aggressive driving, and ignoring traffic laws increase risk by reducing a driver’s ability to react to unexpected situations.
- Dooring: Opening car doors without checking for approaching cyclists can result in serious crashes.
- Inadequate infrastructure: Lack of dedicated bike lanes and inadequate signage contribute to accidents and make cycling less safe.
- Poor road conditions: Potholes, debris, and uneven road surfaces can cause cyclists to lose control and crash.
- Impaired driving: Driving or cycling under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly impairs the ability to observe traffic rules.
- Poor visibility: Low light conditions, bad weather, and inadequate reflective gear can make cyclists less visible to drivers, increasing the likelihood of accidents.
- Cyclist errors: Cyclists can also contribute to accidents through actions like running red lights, riding against traffic, or not following road rules.
By addressing these causes, we can work toward reducing the number of bicycle accidents in Florida, creating a safer transportation landscape for everyone.
Schedule a Free Consultation at Eltringham Law Group
At Eltringham Law Group, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial challenges you’re facing after a bicycle accident. Our dedicated team of experienced Florida bicycle accident attorneys is here to guide you through every step of the legal process.
Bicycle Accident Case FAQs
What should I do immediately after a bicycle accident?
After a bicycle accident, prioritize your safety and health. Seek medical attention if needed. Document the accident scene, gather witness information, and report the incident to the authorities. Avoid admitting fault and consult an attorney before discussing the accident with insurance companies.
Can I still seek compensation if I was partly at fault for the accident?
Yes, Florida follows a comparative negligence system. Even if you were partially at fault, you can still seek compensation. However, the settlement will be reduced based on your percentage of fault.