A personal injury case typically refers to a legal dispute that arises when one person suffers an injury due to an accident that another individual caused because of their wrongful, reckless, negligent, or intentional actions. Yet, although there are many different situations that can give rise to a personal injury claim, the end result is often the same — an individual dealing with debilitating injuries, excruciating pain, and astronomical medical expenses that can forever impact their life.
For these reasons, if you or a loved one have been injured in a Fort Lauderdale accident, it is important to reach out to an experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorney as soon as possible. These lawyers can not only provide you the legal help you need to get through this challenging ordeal, but they can also assist you in pursuing the damages and justice you are entitled to.
Available Damages Following a Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Accident
If you or a loved one have been harmed in a personal injury accident in Fort Lauderdale, you may be entitled to certain types of compensation, including both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are monetary losses resulting from an accident, such as:
- Past and current medical bills related to doctor visits, hospital stay, prescription medications, surgeries, and assistive medical devices
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages or reduced earning capacity
- Rehabilitative therapy, including occupational and physical therapy
- The replacement value of lost personal property
- Repair expenses
- Replacement domestic services, including child care or cleaning services
- Other measurable losses
Non-economic damages are compensation for non-monetary losses resulting from an accident. These losses are not easy to quantify, and so they can be difficult to prove. These damages typically include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of sexual function
- Damage to reputation
- Limb loss
Plus, depending on the situation, punitive damages may also be awarded. However, unlike the above damages, which are awarded to compensate the victim for the losses they sustained after an accident, punitive damages are only given out by the court to punish the defendant for their egregious actions and deter others from committing this act again in the future. As a result, punitive damages are only available under limited circumstances, specifically when the victim’s attorney can prove through clear and convincing evidence that the defendant was personally guilty of intentional misconduct or gross negligence.
How Long It Takes for a Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Lawyer to Resolve Your Case
When it comes to a personal injury case, there are no guidelines that dictate how much time it will take for a case to resolve. This is often because there are just too many factors that can influence this timeline, such as:
- The type of injuries that an individual sustained after an accident
- The severity of these injuries
- The medical treatments that are needed and the length of these treatments
- Whether future ongoing care will be required
- Whether there are any issues with the legal case
- Whether the insurance company is willing to negotiate a settlement amount fairly
- Whether the case involves a significant amount of money
- Whether you have reached maximum medical improvement
As a result of these factors, a personal injury case can take anywhere from a few months to even years to resolve, especially if the case ends up going to trial. However, to get a better estimate of how long your specific case may take to sort out, it is often recommended you reach out to a skilled Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorney as soon as you can after your accident. A personal injury lawyer in Fort Lauderdale can not only figure out which of the above specific issues can impact your ability to settle your claim quickly, but they can also ensure they fight hard for the monetary damages you deserve, regardless of how long it may take.
How a Personal Injury Attorney in Fort Lauderdale Can Help You Fight for the Compensation You Need
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a Fort Lauderdale personal injury accident, you may be intimidated by the idea of preparing your arguments and gathering the evidence necessary to prove your claim. However, to obtain the compensation you need for your injuries and losses, this is precisely what needs to be done. Thankfully, with an experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorney fighting on your behalf, you will not have to take on this legal battle alone.
Instead, once these attorneys are retained, they can:
- Review your claim for viability
- Secure the necessary evidence to prove what happened and who was at fault
- Ensure that legal documents and motions are adequately prepared and submitted to the correct court before time runs out.
- Employ experts to validate the details of your case
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement
- Proceed to trial if the other side is unwilling to negotiate fairly
Contact Eltringham Law Group’s Accident Injury Lawyers Today and Seek the Justice You Deserve
When a Fort Lauderdale personal injury accident disrupts your life or the life of a family member, do not wait to secure the legal help you need. Instead, reach out to Eltringham Law Group today for a free case evaluation and find out how our attorneys can help you fight for the justice and compensation you are entitled to.