If you have been in a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident, you know the resulting damage and injuries can be devastating. Recovering from such a life-altering incident is hard enough. Facing recovery without the help and support of your family and a legal professional you can trust is impossible.
When you are represented by Eltringham Law Group, you can focus on recovery and rehabilitation while we focus on compensation. Give us a call today and our experienced accident injury lawyers will make sure you receive the proper amount of compensation for your injuries. We can handle many activities on your behalf, keeping you up to date while you heal and rest.
Why You Need a Fort Lauderdale Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you have a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident, not just any lawyer will do. You need a motorcycle accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale who has the experience that you can feel confident in. Here are a few benefits of working with a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer.
- Lawyers provide free, sound, and accurate legal advice and you are under no obligation to have your claim represented by Eltringham Law Group.
- There are no upfront payments. If you do not receive compensation, then neither do we, so we will not waste your time and add on more bills you cannot pay.
- Accident injuries need time to heal. We will investigate your claim further and gather evidence, allowing you time to recover.
- A lawyer with plenty of experience in the field of motorcycle accident injury claims will be familiar with the laws and how they best apply to your situation.
- Insurance companies offer far less compensation to individuals than they do to lawyers. When you get a lawyer, they know you mean business and will more fairly evaluate your claim.
- If you win your claim you can receive compensation for more than just your medical bills and property damages.
Types of Compensation
You can get compensation for more than just your medical bills. These are the most commonly awarded damages after a motorcycle accident.
These are damages that have a specific dollar value. Economic damages include property damage, lost income, and medical bills. These damages are likely documented and easily proved.
Damages that are not as easily valued include pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of consortium, partnership, or spouse. These damages are harder to prove as they are not clearly documented. It is also harder to put a dollar amount on these damages.
These are not as commonly awarded but they can be imposed on a driver who is found to be grossly negligent. Punitive damages are added as an additional punishment for acting with extreme disregard for the safety of others on the road.
Florida’s Pure Comparative Negligence Laws
Motorcyclists are not always free from blame. If the motorcycle driver shares fault in the accident, Florida’s pure comparative negligence law means that they may still be entitled to compensation reduced by their percentage of fault. This means that if a motorcyclist files a claim for damages of $50,000 and is found to be 30% at fault for the accident, they will be awarded 70% of the $50,000 claim or $35,000.
These are negligent acts of motorcyclists that can reduce the other driver’s liability:
- Improper signaling
- Lane splitting
- Riding the shoulder
- Failure to obey road signs or signals
No Helmet Law
In Florida, there is no law requiring riders to wear a helmet while riding for riders over 21. Insurance companies may try to convince you that failure to wear a helmet equals negligence, but it does not.
What steps should I take after being involved in a motorcycle accident in Fort Lauderdale?
The actions you should take after a motorcycle accident are similar to those you would take after a car accident.
Seek Medical Attention
Because the risk of serious injury is increased from motorcycle accidents, you should be sure to check for injuries needing immediate attention first. If life-threatening injuries are not a concern, you should still seek medical treatment after filing your report to ensure no injuries go undetected. This also establishes a link between your accident and injuries that do not appear until later.
Report to the Police
Filing a police report should be done right away. Police officers need to investigate and document the scene of the accident so that they can accurately evaluate what caused the accident. Witnesses should be identified and contact information collected if possible for use later.
Speak with a Fort Lauderdale Motorcycle Accident Attorney
You are advised to speak with a motorcycle accident attorney in Fort Lauderdale before filing a claim with the insurance company. Insurance companies may try to pressure you into settling for a small amount or into making a statement that can be used against you.
The Dangers of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcyclists are less visible to other drivers because of their size and speed. They also have less protection than the drivers of other vehicles. There is nothing between the motorcycle rider and the vehicle they collide with and it is common for riders to be ejected from their bikes on impact.
Add in the lack of airbags, seatbelts, and other safety features and it is no surprise that motorcycle accidents are nearly 30% more likely to result in fatalities. Motorcyclists who survive often suffer life-altering injuries.What You Should Know About Fort Lauderdale Motorcycle Accidents
Here are some things to remember if you or your loved one has been in a motorcycle accident.
- If your family member or loved one dies in a motorcycle accident, you may have a case for wrongful death.
- Do not talk about your case to friends or on social media.
- Florida is a popular destination for motorcyclists and it is one of the highest-ranking states for motorcycle accidents.
- Drivers are not always to blame for motorcycle accidents. A number of motorcycle accidents are caused by manufacturers and result from faulty bike components.
- Poor road conditions or visibility are also common causes of motorcycle accidents.
Get a Free Virtual Case Consultation
We are not just motorcycle accident lawyers. Eltringham Law Group can help you with a wide range of claims like defective products or medical malpractice suits. Get your free virtual case consultation and let us help you get compensated.
Eltringham Law Group has the knowledge and experience that you need to feel confident when you put your claim in our hands. Visit us online or give us a call today for a free consultation.