Copyright Ⓒ 2021 ELG. All Rights Reserved.Site By:
Auto Accidents Involving Ride-Sharing Apps Like Uber or Lyft
If you’ve needed to get someplace in a hurry, but didn’t have a car at hand, or you just wanted a one-way ride to a place that wasn’t at a walkable distance, it’s likely, you have called for an Uber, a Lyft or some other similar taxi company. Booking a taxi via an app offers you the convenience you need to commute in a hassle-free manner. This is what ridesharing services bank on for their business.
Ride-sharing programs have served the 21st century a great service. Companies like Uber and Lyft have made it more convenient to provide transportation to those who, in many situations, should not be driving themselves. It has also allowed many people without transportation to get around more easily at an affordable price.
However, the increased popularity of these ridesharing programs has also increased the number of cars on the roads. With every additional car comes the potential of another car accident. In most cases, you are not aware of who is driving you, what their background is, what kind of driver they are, etc.
You have trusted the parent companies like Uber and Lyft to have done the necessary background checks to ensure your safety. Still, car crashes involving passengers in a ridesharing program can happen at any time, on any ride. It’s important that you be aware of the steps you need to take and which Uber accident attorney you can trust to handle your ride sharing auto accident claims in Boca Raton.
Complexities of Ride-Sharing Driver Accidents
Usually, a car accident involves only the parties who are present at the time of the accident. However, when a ridesharing car is involved in an accident, it can become a bit more complex as to who may be at fault. It’s difficult to ascertain from whom you may be able to collect any sort of compensation.
In addition, the rideshare industry is unregulated. It’s why companies like Uber and Lyft might not carry sufficient accident insurance. These companies claim that they aren’t regular transportation companies. They state they are tech companies and that they provide a platform that consumers can use to get in touch with drivers.
The latter might not have the required insurance coverage to cover loss of income or medical expenses you incur from your rideshare accident injuries. Whether involved in a taxi accident or ridesharing auto accidents, you need to protect yourself.
While taxi companies carry adequate insurance, many times they are not on your side. Make sure your taxi and ride-share attorney has experience to provide you or a loved one with the compensation you deserve from a ride-share accident.
The personal injury attorneys at the Eltringham Law Group have been researching and handling car accident cases involving ride-sharing programs like Uber and Lyft since its inception. We have been at the forefront of all emerging technology so that we are prepared to serve our clients in the most advanced and knowledgeable ways possible.
What to Do If You Have Been Involved in a Car Accident Involving a Ride-Sharing App Driver?
Call our uber accident attorney at +1-561-231-6308 Right Away!
If you are a passenger involved in an accident in a ride sharing car service, such as Uber or Lyft, it is important to follow a few crucial steps.
- Assess your injuries and seek medical attention.
- Call the police to document the incident.
- Take photos of the scene including damages to both vehicles, license plate numbers and the surrounding environment.
- Get the information of your driver – name, photo, license plate. Screen shot their profile from your phone’s ride-sharing app.
- Make sure your name is on the police report as a passenger and that you get a copy of the case number provided by the police.
- Do not speak to the other parties involved about the details of the accident – only to the police.
- Seek medical treatment within 14 days of your accident so you will retain your PIP benefits.
Call Eltringham Law Group at 561-231-6308 for a free consultation with an experienced Lyft accident attorney in Boca Raton, FL.
Most of these companies ask that you also report ridesharing auto accidents to them, but we suggest that you follow all steps above, including contacting our personal injury attorneys, before providing any details to the company and insurance providers.
What to Expect Following Your Ride Share Auto Accident
When you choose the Eltringham Law Group to represent you following an auto accident involving a ride-sharing driver such as Uber or Lyft, here is what you can expect to happen:
- We offer free case reviews so you can get all your questions answered and can spend time talking directly with an experienced attorney about your rights and expected outcomes.
- Leave all the work to us. We will be in contact with doctors, hospitals, witnesses, insurance providers, police, attorneys and anyone else necessary to settle your claim. We will thoroughly investigate your accident and will build a solid case so that you are more likely to be awarded additional compensation from insurance companies or other parties.
- You focus on you. Whether you are still recovering from injuries or are simply dealing with the stress and anxiety that is common following auto accidents, now is the time to focus on your own needs while you leave the details of your case in the hands of an experienced Lyft accident attorney that will get the job done right.
- We work on a contingent fee basis. This means that you don’t need to lay out any money up front in order to have our injury attorneys work on your case. We don’t get paid unless we recover a financial settlement or jury award for you.
Common Legal Questions About Ride Sharing Auto Accidents
Accidents can happen even if you’re not behind the wheel and are trusting a professional driver to get you to the destination. Millions of people use Uber, Lyft, and other such ride-sharing services all over the world.
They trust these drivers to follow the rules and observe proper driving behavior, but these individuals are just as fallible as other drivers on the road. At Eltringham Law Group, we have worked with many clients involved in ride-sharing accidents and are familiar with the process.
Why are Ride-Sharing Accidents Different?
Ride-sharing accidents are different because the laws governing such services are different. That’s why you need to hire an experienced Uber accident attorney before filing a case against a negligent or reckless driver. In many cases, the company is responsible for awarding compensation, and they will make an effort to get out of the responsibility. Here’s a look at some scenarios when it comes to ride-sharing auto accidents:
- Offline Driver – If the driver was offline and not connected with Uber or Lyft when the accident happened, the companies can’t be held liable and aren’t involved in the suit.
- Online and Waiting for Requests – If the driver is online and connected to Uber or Lyft when the accident happens, you may be able to gain compensation from their liability insurance.
- With Passengers – If the driver is ferrying a customer around and is connected to the ride-sharing company during the accident, the victims involved will get compensation from Uber or Lyft’s public liability insurance.
That’s why you need to hire an Uber or Lyft accident attorney instead of a regular personal injury attorney for such cases. Regular attorneys may not know about the different circumstances that can influence such cases.
It is important to understand liability before working on auto accidents in Boca Raton. Our expert lawyers listen to your account, look at all evidence, speak with third-party experts, contact witnesses, and carry out in-depth research into the case before determining liability. Sometimes liability is clear, and we know the driver is at fault, but not all cases are so clear-cut.
If the accident occurs because some other driver was speeding or driving under the influence, you won’t be able to hold ride-sharing companies liable for the incident.
Causes of Ride-Sharing Accidents
Ride-sharing accidents can happen due to several reasons. In most cases, it comes down to human error or negligence. If the driver is distracted, driving under the influence, or engaging in reckless behavior, you are more likely to get into an accident.
Sometimes ride-sharing accidents happen because drivers are exhausted and overworked. While these professionals have the freedom to accept rides at their convenience, most work long hours to make ends meet. That can cause serious health problems, fatigue, and poor focus, which will lead to accidents.
If you want to know more about our car accident personal injury or need to book a consultation with an accident lawyer, get in touch with us at Eltringham Law Group today! Clients can call 561-231-6308 or use our contact us form.